*Update: The island of Dominica was hit by a category 5 storm, Hurricane Maria, in September of 2017. The information on this blog reflects life in Dominica prior to Hurricane Maria. Ross University School of Medicine relocated to the island of Barbados in 2019. Some of the establishments below are open for business, under repair or are no longer in business. Please call before heading out to visit them.
- Piccolo’s outdoor hot dog stand – good prices on food and soda; on the Subway Deck ; 767-285-2901
- Pic-N-Go – burgers, salads, coffee, pastries, desserts-1st floor of the Student Center; 767-445-3121
- Subway – the U.S. sandwich chain; on the Subway Deck; 767-445-7827 or 767-617-3004
- The Cafe– serves coffee, sweets and snacks; on the Subway Deck; 767-245-7525; 445-3863
- The Orchard-1st floor of the student center.
- There are vending machines scattered throughout campus.
On the northern edge of campus is an area called the “Picard Food Pavillion” aka “The Shacks“. The shacks are a row of local vendors selling food, drinks, smoothies, snacks, fruits, vegetables, and some souvenirs. Cheapest meals in Picard. For beverages, there are a few juice shacks and a coffee shack. Most shacks sell bottled water and soda. For food, there are a variety of cuisines available -Caribbean/local food, Mexican, Indian and Italian (pizza shack). Lots of chicken, fish, beans, rice, and pasta. For the very health conscious I recommend shack #4. It is run by a local dietician, Mrs. Lambert. She has soy, tofu, yogurt etc. You can view video footage of the shacks by clicking here and here .
EATING OFF CAMPUS IN PICARD
CHINESE RESTAURANTS – these tend to be open on Sundays :
- Asian Fusion Bar & Restaurant– across from Jenner Hall. 767-276-7995
- Bob’s Chinese-on Banana Trail, up from Ross main gate, blue building on the left; Free delivery on orders 20 EC and up. 767-445-6264
- Golden Dragon-in Glanvilla; restaurant is upstairs; nice seafood; Delivers, 767-445-5049
- Hope Restaurant– Across from main gate/Clara House. Delivery is free for orders 20 EC and up. A fee applies for orders under 20 EC. 767-614-7893 or 767-285-7529
- Jack’s Chinese-up hill from Ross main gate on right side; Delivery; 767-445-3300 or 285-6408
- Riverside Cafe–on the Picard River-nicer dining; Chinese/Thai/American menu; Delivers, 767-445-5888
AMERICAN / LOCAL/ OTHER CUISINES IN PICARD :
- Atto’s– across from the shacks, in the corner; cheap lunches!
- Aunty Grace’s Kitchen– next to Alexis Taxi; breakfast and daily lunch specials; 767-612-8523
- Bad Habit– across from shacks; freshly prepared food, good salads, Mexican nights; 767-285-8581
- Campus Crepes– across from main gate; sweet or savory crepes; delivery; 767-265-2496
- Che’s Ice Cream Parlor -on Banana Trail, past Tomato’s, on the left; 767-276-9956
- Clara House Lounge – across from RUSM main gate, 1st floor of Clara House. Bar, music, & dining. Dress code applies; 767-277-4563
- Corner Café/Cupcake Corner– next to Hong Kong/Aunty Grace’s- cupcakes, bakery, daily lunch specials, Sunday brunch. 767-225-7264
- George’s Shawarma up hill from Ross main gate; blue building on left; 767-285-1966 or 767-277-0626
- IGA Whitchurch-local grocery serves hot meals for lunch and dinner. Salad bar is an option for lunch on some days. Pizzas are made fresh on Friday and Saturday from 1p-8p. Call 767-255-1214 to order.
- Junction on Banana trail. Coffee, meals; large screen TV; 767-445-4505
- Kandy’s Krush Bar & Grill-across from shacks; 767-315-6291 or 767-265-5286
- Kathryne’s – bottom floor of Clara House across from Ross main gate; A/C ; 767-445-3719 or 767-245-3644
- Le Flambeau-outdoor restaurant located on the southern edge of campus at PBH (Portsmouth Beach Hotel) on the Caribbean Sea ; 767-445-5142
- Le Petit Paris Picard Bakery-across from Jenner; breads, pizza, salads, sandwiches; 767-275-7777
- Mango’s Bar & Grill– next to Riverside restaurant on Moo Cow Trail; good wraps, burgers and pizza; 767-445-6777
- Mango Cafe’-before Bobs/George’s Shawarma on Banana Trail; local food and Indian food; 767-445-4121
- Pool Hall Bar & Restaurant– above Hope Restaurant/P&P Trading Store-767-276-5387 or 767-612-0284
- Shawarma King-on Banana Trail. They sell hummus, tabouleh, and baba ganoush, as well as pizza and burgers. Delivery, 767-295-5647
- Sisters Beach Bar & Restaurant-on Lizard Trail, waterfront; Call for reservations 767-445-5211 or 767-277-4421; email@example.com
- Strawberry’s–pink building across from RUH; lunch specials; 767-285-9017
- Swirls Frozen Yogurt Cafe’– 767-316-8141
- The Champs Restaurant/Bar – on top of Banana Trail; Call for a ride up the hill. Brick Oven Pizza; 767-445-4452
- The Picard Oven/Pikki Pizza– pastries, breads, and sweets; pizza delivery 767-613-6967
- Tulips-up the hill from the Ross main gate, on the right, Banana Trail; known for their ribs and wings; $2 delivery fee; 767-445-3616, 265-6077, 615-0889
- Woody’s Pizza-pizza delivery 767–616-6528, 295-4888, or 445-5615
Do you have updated information to share? Please click here.