Shopping In Portsmouth
Portsmouth, which was once the capital of Dominica, is only about a 20 minute walk/5 minute taxi ride from campus. You can do lots of shopping there if you know where to go. One advantage to shopping in Portsmouth is that when you shop where the locals shop, the prices tend to be lower. The best way to familiarize yourself with Portsmouth is just to walk up and down the main road that goes through town (Michael Douglas Blvd/Bay Street).
- The main attraction for most of us is the open air market where fruits and vegetables are sold early Saturday mornings. Along with all your greens, you can also get some fresh coconut water, bread, and spices.
- Blue Sky Home Center-Chinese store across the street from the market area. They sell household items, fans, musical instruments, and electronics. 767-615-5055
- There is a small grocery called Duverney’s on the left hand side of the main road (Bay St.) in town. They carry grocery items, toiletries, diapers/wipes, cleaning products etc. Their prices are good. If you are walking through town and need to take a break, you can always stop there to get something cold to drink. They are cash only. 767-445-5967
- Mini Cash-on the right side of Bay St. 767-445-5604
- Northern Foods & Supplies (NFS)-past Duverney’s also on the left side of Bay Street 767-445-5698 and 225-3744
- There are lots of other mom and pop places in town:
-There is a hardware store that sells tools, bicycle supplies, and other testosterone heavy items.
-Bread shack-You can pre-order things like hot dogs buns if you need a large quantity for a cookout or birthday party.
-There are several clothing boutiques and a couple of shoe stores (UM’s is my favorite).
-There are a couple of seamstresses in town. You can get clothes altered at a very reasonable price.
So, when you get a chance spend a couple of hours cruising the strip. You can get some great buys for good prices. Let me know if you find any hidden gems in Portsmouth!
Updated April 2014